<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Michael/Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Pennsylvania/Wexford/Christopher Wren, speaks English. Spends 20% of daytime online. Uses a Fast (128k-512k) connection. And likes baseball /politics.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Pennsylvania, Wexford, Christopher Wren, English, Michael, Male, 26-30, baseball , politics.

Saturday, May 29, 2004

If you ever get out to Pittsburgh... 

Forbes Field

I went the University of Pittsburgh for four years ... Terrific school, by the way, for those who are considering college or those considering where to send their kids to college ... Anyway, one of the nicer things about the neighborhood of Oakland (the section of Pittsburgh pretty much swallowed by Pitt & CMU) is that there are remnants of Pittsburgh's baseball past still preserved. Forbes Field was located in Oakland and a little of the old outfield wall is still on the Pitt campus. Home plate is also still on the campus - under a glass case on the first floor of what used to be Forbes Quad (which I think its called Posvar Hall now). Because I was a liberal arts major (History & Political Science) I had lots of classes in Forbes/Posvar: when I was in class my thoughts often turned to the fact that it was kind of awe-inspiring to think that I was sitting just feet away from where Maz hit his home run in Game Seven of the '60 World Series.

(Click here for some pics of the wall and the home plate.)

Little-known fact: the location of home plate is not actually where the real location was: the actual home plate was located where the first floor men's room is.

A little plug for my alma mater: as I said, I went to Pitt and I love the school. The community Pitt is located in is a fun and exciting place where there were lots of things to do. I got a terrific education from (mostly) terrific teachers at top-notch facilities. Best four years of my life.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?