<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Michael/Male/26-30. Lives in United States/Pennsylvania/Wexford/Christopher Wren, speaks English. Spends 20% of daytime online. Uses a Fast (128k-512k) connection. And likes baseball /politics.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Pennsylvania, Wexford, Christopher Wren, English, Michael, Male, 26-30, baseball , politics.

Monday, January 17, 2005

NFL Notes 

I closed down my Eagles blog because I wanted to devote my energies exclusively to talking about the Phillies, but today’s post is going to be Eagles-centric. I have a few thoughts on what I saw, but let me work up to that …

-Was there a duller game in the playoffs than the Rams-Falcons slaughter? It was awful to watch. I think even the Rams were embarrassed by their performance and knew they didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs.

-What happened to the vaunted Steelers jauggernaut? I expected them to manhandle the Jets but that didn’t happen. Instead they needed the Jets to miss two field goals before pulling it out in OT. If the Steelers go on to win the Super Bowl than we know God is a Steelers fan, because they should be going home right now. Their survival on Saturday (especially on the field goal that hit the crossbar) was pure luck. The Jets were the better team.

-I have to admit to being stunned at the Patriots 20-3 upset of the Colts. I thought this was Peyton Manning’s year to shine. I thought he’d victimize the Patriots depleted secondary. I thought the Colts would win and go on to the Super Bowl, but the Patriots out-played them in a game that looked like an echo of last year’s AFC title game. The Patriots are one of those teams that don’t look impressive, but they are greater than the sum of their parts when they come together to form a complete team. Their strategy of running the ball kept Manning on the sideline and exploited the weakness of the Colts defense. It was brilliant. I’ve never been a fan of Tony Dungy: for a guy who coached as much talent as he over the years I find it odd that he’s never gotten a team to the Super Bowl. Sunday I thought he was thoroughly out-coached by Bill Belichick.

-I have a theory about why the Eagles won 27-14 against the Vikings: jersey power. Two years ago for Xmas, my wife gave me a green McNabb jersey. I wear it whenever the Eagles play. Since I got the jersey the Eagles have gone 25-7 in the regular season. Hmmm … well, I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to get a white T.O. jersey and she ended up finding me one on eBay which arrived on Thursday night. For the game Sunday I had my wife wear #5 while I wore #81. Double jersey power! Coincidence the Eagles won? … Okay, I’m not that superstitious but I was thrilled by how well the Eagles played yesterday. They were aggressive, mentally sharp, and ready to play the game.

I was impressed how the Eagles defense seemed to be toying with the Vikings in the first quarter. Poor Dante Culpepper looked baffled by the Eagles defensive schemes. I think it messed him up for the rest of the game. Defensively yesterday was a good sign for next week. The Vikings, like the Falcons, are a big play team. They thrive on the deep pass or the big scramble to generate momentum. The Eagles kept everything in front of them and allowed the Vikings little. I think that augers positive things for next week. The Eagles defense is much better and more aggressive than last year’s unit now that Kearse and Trotter are there.

I was equally impressed by the Eagles offense: no T.O., no problem. The Eagles seemed to move the ball through the Vikings defense at will. What amazed me was that McNabb had just three yards of rushing. I think everyone assumed he’d have to carry the team on his back with his legs and that didn’t happen. Mitchell, Pinkston and Lewis stepped up and delivered when they needed to. Scarily, the score could have been 37-14 if the Eagles hadn't let time expire or if Mitchell had been called out at the one-yard line instead of a touch-back.

As always the Vikings seemed out of it. For all of their talent and chances, the Vikings are historic underachievers, constantly collapsing at the end of the season or choking in the playoffs. This Vikings team seemed out-coached and no play illustrated that better than their disastrous fake field goal. Even if Moss had stayed on the field as planned, they would have been flagged for 12 men on the field. That’s just incompetence.

-Predictions … AFC: I was stunned by how mediocre the Steelers looked against the Jets. Mentally, I don’t think they were ready to play the game, and Big Ben looked terrible. The Patriots looked like an veteran team taking care of business, cool as the other side of the pillow (thank you, Chris Berman). On paper the Steelers look like the better team and they did win back on Halloween 34-20, but the Patriots look like a cohesive veteran unit, they didn’t have Corey Dillon back on Halloween, and they have momentum. And they are better coached than the Steelers. I think the Patriots will develop a strategy for exploiting the Steelers weaknesses. Call it 24-21 Patriots over the SteelersNFC: Don’t you just feel that this year is different than all of the rest? I suspected that the Eagles were out-matched against the Panthers last year, that McNabb wasn’t mentally ready to lead the team against the Bucs in ’02, that the ’01 team was too young to take-out the Rams. This year is different. The offense seems deadlier than in the past, and the defense seems more aggressive and confident. I actually have confidence in Mitchell, Lewis and Pinkston to stretch the opposing defenses, and I think the Eagles D can shut down the opposing offenses (inc. their running games). Out of the four Eagles teams to play in the NFC title game, this year’s version is the strongest. I have nothing against the Falcons, but their offense is 90% Michael Vick. His ability to run is tremendous, but they can’t throw the ball with any consistency. Their defense is good, but I don’t think anything can break McNabb’s concentration right now. I think the Eagles new, Kearse / Trotter-centric defense will cap the Falcons ground attack and the Falcons wideouts will be handcuffed all game long. And I think the Eagles offense will score often enough to keep the game out reach. Eagles 33, Falcons 21.

-Baseball notes: Uh-oh. Carlos Delgado is looking at the Marlins and Mets. I’d hate to see Delgado 19 times a year. This is a guy who has a near .400 OBP and near .600 slugging percentage. Why teams haven’t been pursuing him, I have no idea. Here are Bill James 2005 predictions for him:

.390 OBP / .565 SLG / 35 HR / 35 2B / 109 RBI / 110 Runs Created

With Hudson in Atlanta, Pedro and Beltran in Queens and Delgado in Miami, I don’t see why the Phillies couldn’t slip to fourth this year. That’s how competitive the NL East has gotten.

Tomorrow: Ryan Howard, insurance policy.

Comments:
Alright, Seahawks vs. Steelers who do you like?

Super Bowl at Ford Field
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?